Re: [chrony-dev] Fw: leap seconds correction

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 04:24:17PM +0100, Marek Behun wrote:
> I tried to simulate a leap second with little success - I tried
> running ntpd and changing kernel's adjtimex() status to STA_INS,
> but it didn't do anything observable.

Did you set date to Jun 30 or Dec 31 and wait for UTC midnight? The
kernel status should be changed by ntpd automatically during the day.
It worked for me with this configuration:

server 127.127.1.0
leapfile leap-seconds.3535142400

I'm mainly interested in how will the UTC->right conversion affect
measurements made during that leap second. If you want to test it with
chronyd as the client, you can enable the measurements log and use
"minpoll 0 maxpoll 0 noselect" options for the server to be sure at
least one measurement is made in the leap second.

You can also try it in the clknetsim simulator [1], but I think the
ordering of the symbols from the two preloaded libraries would need to
be modified.

> Can chrony simulate a leap second
> from a local leap second table file?

chronyd reads leap second data from tzdata (leapsectz option), but it
doesn't work with the local stratum feature, so you would need another
NTP server or a reference clock.

[1] https://github.com/mlichvar/clknetsim