Re: [chrony-dev] Leap second handling

On 07/13/12 19:01, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
I think there are these options:
- let the kernel handle the leap second
- step the clock manually (settimeofday() or adjtimex(ADJ_SETOFFSET))
- smear both local time and served time, drop the leap announcement
- smear only local time, keep the announcement and always serve UTC

Option 1 should remain the default.

Option 4 is what I suggested and I think it also fits best into the normal behaviour of chrony.

When I started working with chrony, I was surprised to notice that when it encounters an error, although adapting the local time slowly, it immediately provides the new time. In hindsight I think that is how it should be, only I was used to the behaviour of ntpd. Option 4 treats the leap second in the same way while working around the inability of operating systems to handle the leap second smoothly.

I really hope leap seconds will be abolished before the next one
happens. :)

It would simplify a lot, but I doubt that it will happen ;)

Regards,
Frank

--
Frank MUZZULINI                Phone: +49 721 9497-2501
COMSOFT GmbH                   Fax:   +49 721 9497-349

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Manfred Jlg,  Manfred Schmid
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe,  Handelsregister: Mannheim HRB 102488

	Help save paper - do you really need to print this e-mail?

--- Disclaimer ---
This mail contains private or confidential information for the eyes of
the addressee(s) named within this mail only.  Any distribution or
usage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  If the context of
this message indicates that you may have received this mail by error,
please immediately contact and notify the sender and delete this mail
from your computers as well as from your mail server. Thank you!