Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 1.26-31-g19b3c5b

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:59:09AM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

Let me know if you think there are other useful values that should be
added. Also, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to show "System
time" and "Frequency" as signed values instead of the slow/fast to
make parsing easier.

Perhaps. Also, an indication as to whether or not the system time offset is
real (Ie the system has locked onto a source) or not to determine tht system
time.  One can look for a * in the sources, but it might be easier to look at
the tracking to tell if the time is reasonable.

I think that can already be determined from the Reference ID field. If
it's 0.0.0.0, chronyd is not locked. An interesting question is how to
determine if it's locked well, looking at the System time value alone
isn't very useful.

This is how tracking and sources reports now look like:

System time     : 0.000000093 seconds slow of NTP time
#* SOC1                          0   4   377     7   -675ns[ -778ns] +/-  128ns
                                                        ^^^^^
The ns as part of the word makes it hard to parse. Since it is not reported in
a fixed set of units, one must parse the units (ns, ms, us, s) to determine
the offset automatically, and the lack of a separator makes it just a bit
harder to do so.

Perhaps a chronyc option to enable a machine readable output where
floating point numbers instead of the units are printed would be
useful?

Could be. Problem is that people do not read manuals. Perhaps if the option
was there and the default was different for inline and command versions
chronyc tracking gave the decimal for example
while
chronyc
tracking
gave the human readable form.

However, since the Reference ID tells me whether or not it is locked on to a
source, it is not as urgent.

Actually, since chrony itself does not use the PPS unless it is locked, it is
not as urgent as with ntpd, which just accepts the PPS.