Re: [chrony-dev] Chrony 1.26 released

On 13/07/2011 15:17, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> Chrony 1.26 is now available via the "Download" page at
> <http://chrony.tuxfamily.org>.

Gah, released about 12 mins after I checked what the latest version is!
 (Are you watching me...?)

> Since 1.26-pre1, there was only one change which enables the
> --enable-forcednsretry configure option by default.

Can you give a touch more background on how this affects corner cases
please?

The issues as I see it are:

- with 1.25 (by default) using dns names for servers and starting chrony
before networking is up, causes chrony to fail to resolve the names and
essentially those servers are dropped.
- networking comes up even a few seconds later (oops forgot to plug in
the cable) but now chrony continues without any servers?

I guess the ideal situation would be that dns request failures (network
failures) cause a retry, but an authoritive name server declaring
NXDOMAIN causes the server to be dropped?  Presumably the issue is that
Network Manager answers NXDOMAIN if the network down? (untested - just
guessing?)

Grateful if you could clarify the implications

Cheers

Ed W