Re: [chrony-dev] [GIT] chrony/chrony.git branch, master, updated. 1.25-pre1-18-g20a4340

On 11/04/2011 17:44, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 10:00:36PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
>> Been running this for a few days.  Not particularly thrashing it, but
>> nothing untoward happened...
>>
>> How are we looking for a release?
>
> Maybe at the end of this week? Should we go with 1.25-pre2 first, or
> final 1.25?

This probably seems rash since you are obviously in the conservative
release category: however, I would have preferred this release to be
(say) 1.29 with a bunch of prior releases plus bug fixes to get us to
where we are now...

:-)

The point was more that I tend towards "more frequent" releases with a
sweet spot around the 2-3 month interval.  The justification being that
few users will test anything other than "releases" (even as a developer
I find it massively more convenient to work mostly with "releases", and
more than a few source packages overwhelms my spare capacity.

I like the kernel release process, which I see as basically: a feature
release (2.6.x) , which is then maintained for a short period with bug
fixes (2.6.x.y), while a new feature release branch is developed and
released (2.6.x+1). I know this doesn't work for all projects, but, I
would vote for a move towards the next chrony release to be say 1.3 (or
2.0), with bug fixes named 1.3.1 (or 2.0.1) and your next big bunch of
fixes becomes 1.4.x, etc...  This makes it easier to release earlier,
and if anyone screams you have a clear way to just apply bug fixes to
the last release without needing to release part developed features

This is really just a statement of the way git/hg/bzr allows us to work,
compared with old style cvs/svn...

Anyway, just my 2p.

Thanks to all for this excellent bit of software.

Ed W