Re: [chrony-dev] Let the kernel write the sys clock to RTC

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Piotr Grudzinski wrote:

> > I would like to use chronyd on a small uClinux based system running > > unattended 24/7. > > The kernel can write the system time to the RTC every 11 minute if the > > clock status ever
> >  becomes SYNC; but it seems to be intentionally kept UNSYNC by chronyd.
> > Reading some latest posts, there seems to be some agreement that this > > would be a useful feature.
> >  Are there any plans to have it implemented?
> > Please try the rtcsync directive added in the latest git push. Note
>  that it can't be used when the normal RTC tracking is enabled.
> > -- > Miroslav Lichvar >
 Thanks!
 Still testing but seems to be working just fine.

 --
 Piotr

Running on the same hardware, with this git version of chronyd program,
the frequency error in chrony.drift stabilizes at about -4ppm.
With ver 1.24, the error value is 27ppm. It doesn't seem to be right. (?)

The drift rate depends both on the crystal frequency AND on the clock
calibration done by Linus at bootup. Until the latest kernels the calibration
was all over the map, and the clock rate could change by 50PPM between two
bootups. You do not tell us if there was a reboot between the two versions of
chrony. Nor do you tell us which kernel you are running (not even which
operating system)

It could of course also be a bug in chrony. Pls run the different versions on
the same system without rebooting it.

--
Piotr