Re: [chrony-dev] SHM naming

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:42:34AM +0100, Håkan Johansson wrote:

It seems the SHM refclocks are named (indexed) by their appearance
in the config file and not by the ntpshm block they correspond to.
Having e.g.

refclock SHM 3:perm=666 filter 63
refclock SHM 2:perm=666 filter 63
refclock SHM 1 filter 63 offset 0.0 delay 1e-4

I still get a list like:

SHM0                        0   0     0     -5.265   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
SHM1                        0   0     0     -5.265   2000.000     +0ns  4000ms
SHM2                        7   4    99      1.063      8.924  +3420ns   117us

where e.g. SHM2 in reality is the SHM 1 above.  This is confusing.
Can it be changed?

That's why we have the refid option. :)

Drivers are not responsible for creating refid. Originally the first
character from driver parameter was used in refid, but after the SOCK
and PPS refclock were added (which use device paths), this didn't work
correctly anymore. Now the absolute index of the refclock is used
instead, so we can be sure that no two refclocks use the same refid.

Ok, thanks. I can use that. But as SHM could work by default without creating surprises, it would be nice if it did. (Unless of course someone is crazy enough to declare the same source twice, but then refid would come to the rescue :) ).

Cheers,
Håkan