Re: [chrony-dev] long time to re-sync with bad system clock

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:51:02PM +0100, Håkan Johansson wrote:
> To avoid having to do that, I'd like to propose something like:
>
> If a new system (B) is to be elected reference source, taking over
> from an old (A), then B must have made its last measurement at least
> later than the current (half)span of A.  If it has not, a new
> 'check' measurement by B is provoked (without it gaining reference
> status yet).

I'm planning to add some features to the source selection routine, but
I'm not sure it should be able to initiate a measurement.

In the case you describe, there are other things you can try beside
lowering maxpoll:
- set all NTP sources offline and make them online only when the GPS stops
- increase the virtual delay for the GPS refclock so it's not marked
  as falseticker so easily
- use only stratum 2 or higher as NTP sources, so they are marked as
  unreachable when synchronized to GPS