Re: [chrony-dev] Chrony freezing

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:15:13PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Bill writes:
> > Putting in a select() for the second read with a 1 second timeout
> > might be a way of getting around both kernel bugs.
>
> I don't see any downside to adding a select().

Where do you propose we should add it? If it is right before the
second read, it will solve the problem with blocking forever, but
chronyd will still be unresponsive for the second which I'm worried
about more as it degrades NTP performance.

Note that read_from_device() is called only when select() says the
descriptor is ready, so adding a second select might not make the
results better.