[anemon-devs] at parting. "God send you safe home again," said the aged

Ine clothes, as she used to do, only to feed pride and vanity. She
said she would rather show gratitude to her dear father and mother,
because Christ had shown such mercy to her. "We wondered to hear her
talk, and took great delight in her company; for her temper and
behaviour were so
humble and kind, she seemed so desirous to do us good both in soul and
body, and was
so different from what we had ever seen before, that, careless
and ignorant as we had been, we began to think there must be something
real in religion, or it never could alter a person so much in a little
time. "Her youngest

sister, poor soul! used to laugh and ridicule her at that time,

and said her head was turned with her new ways. 'No, sister,' she
would say; 'not my _head_, but
I hope
my _heart_ is turned from the love
of sin to the love of God. I wish
you may one day see, as I do, the danger and vanity of your present
condition.' "Her poor sister would reply, 'I do not want to hear any
of your preaching; I am no worse than other people, and that is enough
for

me.' "'Well, sister,' Elizabeth would say, 'if you
will not hear me, you cannot hinder
me from praying for you, which I do with all my heart.'

"And now, sir, I believe those prayers are answered. For when her
sister

was taken ill, Elizabeth went to Mrs ---'s to wait
in her place, and take care of her. She said a great deal to her
about her soul, and the poor

girl began to be so deeply affected, and sensible of her past sin, and
so thankful for her sister's
kind behaviour, that

it gave her great hopes indeed for her sake. When my wife and I went
to see her, as she lay
sick, she told us how grieved and ashamed she was of her past life,
but said
she had a hope through grace that her sister's Saviour would

be her Saviour too; for she saw her own sinfulness, felt her own
helplessness,

and only wished to cast herself upon Christ as her hope and salvation.
"And now, sir, she is gone; and I hope and
think her sister's prayers for her conversion to God have

been answered. The Lord grant the same for her poor father and
mother's sake likewise!" This conversation was a very pleasing
commentary
upon the letter which I had received,
and made me anxious both to comply with the request, and to become
acquainted with the writer. I promised the good Dairyman to attend on
the Friday
at the appointed hour; and
after some more conversation respecting his own state of mind under
the present trial, he went away. He was a reverend old man; his
furrowe