[anemon-devs] to govern the Church

and final aim of all our duties, and to that the whole man is to be
harmonized by subordination, subjugation, or suppression alike in
commission and omission. But the will of God, which is one with the
supreme intelligence, is revealed to man through the conscience. But the
conscience, which consists in an inappellable bearing-witness to the
truth and reality of our reason, may legitimately be construed with the
term reason, so far as the conscience is prescriptive; while as
approving or condemning, it is the consciousness of the subordination or
insubordination, the harmony or discord, of the personal will of man to
and with the representative of the will of God. This brings me to the
last and fullest sense of Faith, that is, as the obedience of the
individual will to the reason, in the lust of the flesh as opposed to
the supersensual; in the lust of the eye as opposed to the
supersensuous; in the pride of the understanding as opposed to the
infinite, in the [Greek: phronaema sarkos] in contrariety to the
spiritual truth; in the lust of the personal will as opposed to the
absolute and universal; and in the love of the creature, as far as it is
opposed to the love which is one with the reason, namely, the love of
God. Thus then to conclude. Faith subsists in the 'synthesis' of the
reason and the individual will. By virtue of the latter therefore it
must be an energy, and inasmuch as it relates to the whole moral man, it
must be exerted in each and all of his constituents or incidents,
faculties and tendencies;--it must be a total, not a p

JPEG image