[anemon-devs] were smoking and playing

Nk one of the deck hands would jump off with the bow line and make fast
to a stump or tree, then the stern line was thrown to him and similarly
connected. Then the negro deck hands would proceed to carry on the wood
on their bare shoulders to the tune of a Southern plantation melody.
When ready to start the bow line was cast off, the paddle wheel was
started by the engine, and by means of the steering gear the craft was
swung out into the stream, then the stern line was thrown aship, and the
boat was off--but not without the steward's victim. No sooner had the
colored gentlemen reached the deck, than I followed. Waiting until all
was quiet aboard, I sought my berth. The next morning I proceeded with
my work as if nothing had happened. I anticipated the steward's next
move would be to throw me overboard, and in that belief told the cook of
what he had done the previous night. At that point he came in, and on
discovering me said, "You here again," his face purple with rage. His
right foot at once became restless, he made a rush for me, but the cook
with butcher-knife in hand prevented the action of said foot, and my
troubles with that gentleman were over. ARRIVAL AT LEAVENWORTH We soon
reached Leavenworth, and I left the boat without regret, but a much
wiser youth. I went to the First National Bank of Leavenworth, drew my
money, and after a few days' rest, I again embarked for Denver astride a
mule. We saw plenty of Indians, but as the train was a long one they did
not molest us. On reaching the city of the plains I at once hunted up my
old friend, the Major, who introduced me to the head of a firm of
contractors, who were at that time engaged in getting out ties in the
"Black

JPEG image