[anemon-devs] Eror, And where I love will triumph! CAESAR. So you shall: My heart shall be the c

Riend. [96] Horace Walpole observes, that "it is evident from the
conduct of Shakspeare, that the house of Tudor retained all their
Lancasterian prejudices even in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. In his
play of Richard the Third, he seems to deduce the woes of the house of
York from the curses which Queen Margaret had vented against them; and
he could not give that weight to her curses, without supposing a right
in her to utter them." [97] See her letters in Ellis's Collection. [98]
Under similar circumstances, one of Katherine's predecessors, Philippe
of Hainault, had gained in her husband's absence the battle of Neville
Cross, in which David Bruce was taken prisoner. [99] Ellis's Collection.
We must keep in mind that Katherine was a foreigner, and till after she
was seventeen, never spoke or wrote a word of English. [100] Hall's
Chronicle [101] Hall's Chronicle, p. 781. [102] The court at Blackfriars
sat on the 28th of May, 1529. "The queen being called, accompanied by
the four bishops and others of her counsel, and a great company of
ladies and gentlewomen following her; and after her obeisance, sadly and
with great gravity, she appealed from them to the court of Rome."--_See
Hall and Cavendish's Life of Wolsey._ The account which Hume gives of
this scene is very elegant; but after the affecting _naivete_ of the old
chroniclers, it is very cold and unsatisfactory. [103] "The queen
answered

JPEG image