Re: [cooking] various boot modes, successes and failures

Pascal and Rohit, thank you - I will work with the new iso starting
today.  Don't worry about laziness.  I am the most unproductive person
I know.  And I am happy to help with testing.  While I have not
learned enough to start coding, not a developer or package maintainer,
I have been bug testing this distro for more than a year and offer
what support I can on IRC.  And I have learned a lot from Slitaz!

I do understand I am working with a testing level iso - my complaint
was because we see the same questions all the time in IRC.  The first
season I was here, it was 'how do I install flash?' because
libflashplayer.so wasn't getting copied correctly.  For this cooking
version, there have been a lot of problems with wifi drivers and
netbooks.  And for as long as I can remember, there have been problems
with xorg.  It doesn't help that companies keep making new proprietary
hardware...

As for xorg, I don't think the problem is related to groups or
permissions.  While xorg is undergoing changes (which also doesn't
help), the issue has to do with hardware recognition.  It seems xorg
is unable to query the display for the proper refresh rates and falls
back to default values which are out of range for many screens.  So,
it gets stuck in 800x600, even after installing a new driver with
tazx, unless the proper modeline is added manually.  Also, tazx (last
I checked) still says the file xorg.conf.new has been written to
/root, but this is no longer the case.

As of a recent version of xorg, not only has the structure of config
files changed, it now depends on udev -- and udev fails on boot in an
installed system.  The issue is that udev is getting started while the
filesystem is still mounted read-only, so it's unable to create a
cache file.  After bootup, it seems to be running, but everytime a
process tries to use it, it respawns and leaves an error that it's
already running (log level debug)... I don't know for sure, but I
suspect fixing this might solve the xorg problem.

I am working on fixing this today, but any ideas are appreciated.
Other distros use devtmpfs, which has now been compiled into the
slitaz kernel, but will require changes in /etc/init.d - another idea
is to start udev after the filesystem has been remounted read-write,
but I'm not sure if that will work.  I will let you know if I find a
solution.

As for documentation, not much needs to be done - there is a lot of
information online, but some of it is outdated, and I have learned
about quite a few options from reading through the scripts, things
that I never noticed in the documentation.  For the most part, the
docs just need to be cleaned up a little, but they're still better
than most of the distros out there.

I look forward to the future of Slitaz.  It is a very different kind
of linux, perfect for virtual machines, running live, or for old
hardware.  It's real value, though, is in it's flexibility.  I am
thrilled with tazpkg's new ability to convert packages made for other
distros, and happy to see it gaining international language support.
I can't wait to see a hundred different flavors and the further
development of slitaz-pizza...

But enough for now - I am known for being long winded.  Thank you
again for such a quick response to my complaints.  (I am also known
for being moody.)  I certainly will test this new iso and will
continue to help however I can.  As 3.0 was a tremendous improvement
over 2.0, I can't wait to see the next stable release.

------ Indigo