Re: Separate cache folders for undigest mirrors

The /home/slitaz folder is a bad idea since most development folders on tank go there. That could cause confinct with there being to many folders there. Also this would require a rewrite of most tools that look at CACHE_DIR path.

I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard drive. The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder too.

With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of ram just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot and buidl the iso.

I just think its better to use the /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/$repo path for undigest for now. We should just work on make home= boot option work more like changes boot option in modular-slitaz.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM, GoKhlaYeh <gokhlayeh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:35:32 +0000
Christopher Rogers <slaxemulator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think we should have separate cache folders for undigest mirrors. This is
> so you don't overlap the main mirror cache with your undigest cache
> packages. The folder path could be something like
> /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/1.

I suggest to cache this way :
/home/slitaz/$repository_name/packages

So, local repositories & cache will be the same thing, and people will build their local repository when downloading packages. For liveUSB & frugal installation using home= boot option, the packages will remains from a session to another.
This way, we can easily build cache for cooking and stable on the same device; with the two systems on frugal install or liveUSB, or even classical install, and GRUB bootloader.

This will open some interesting possibilities for the future, please add yours :
       * tazpkg info files can be put there instead of /var/lib/tazpkg to fully feet this philosophy and avoid some additionnal downloads;
       * An option in tazpkg can came along this to update the cache/local repository;
       * get-* packages can be cached in something like /home/slitaz/$release-get/packages and be persistant from a session to another. A lot of live & openoffice users will appreciate this :)
       * tazlito can be hacked to use this new tree model, note it's the tree model I choose in tazwok-testing/tazchroot/libtaz, mainly because it's the one used on tank (so iso will be save in /home/slitaz/$repository_name/isos by example)
       * tazlito/tazusb can also be hacked to bring some packages in live creation (i.e: thoses used in flavor, thoses needed to compile it from scratch, some additionnal usefull applications, or all the repository) - making update of rootfs speedest or installation of additionnal apps speedest. It also allow home-made flavors to bring some home-made packages; and be safe of breakage when updating (using /var/lib/tazpkg/priority file) even if there's no online repository avalaible.
       * Using some special filesystem; we can extend this fonctionnality to liveCD/DVD (it needs to mount it as /home/slitaz while keeping the writing possibility in RAM... There's probably a fs capable of that)..
       * Let's go far : using some special filesystem, we also can make a liveCD/DVD-R able to store updates using multi-session writing (like PuppyDVD)... With a 30Mb system on a 700Mb CD, it sounds good :)
       * I'm sure I forgot a lot of things :)

By the way, it will also save a lot of mirrors banwitdh.

I'm not intend to code this immediatly, but this idea of changing the cache method is in my head since few weeks and I will do this someday if nobody does before. If you want to, please don't be lazy and go ahead :)

--
GoKhlaYeh <gokhlayeh@xxxxxxxxxx>