Re: [Sawfish] Your future plans? (Wayland)

I'm a bit late to this discussion and may have missed some of the suggestions,
but my understanding is that there is a more-or-less-almost-workable generic solution for running any existing Xorg-based window manager without having a full Xorg server running,   *and* without re-writing the window-manager source code to do compositing,   which is to use Xwayland in rootful mode to emulate Xorg server.
Here is the article which describes how to do it for fvwm3 and implies similar can be done for any other window manager

https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/comments/srb6km/labwcfvwm3_futureproofing_your_window_manager_a/?share_id=Utn8ywo7G3ojfILNVN1cz&utm_name=androidcss

I tried to set this up on an old system of mine and the experiment ended in total failure for a different reason :
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/xorg-development-effort-slowing-in-favour-of-wayland-4175731955/page16.html#post6490219

but there are other articles elsewhere all implying it should work.

On the pro side of the equation,     this is completely independent of what distribution you happen to be running  (although you will probably have to acquire and install extra software).      I don't run any kind of distribution-provided Desktop Environment such as Gnome or KDE,         and I would guess most or all sawfish users don't either  -   why would you do so if sawfish manages windows?

On the con side,    and it is probably a big one for sawfish users  --  sawfish customizations and xxx.jl lisp functions may not work as expected.    and even if they do,    the look and feel will be rather different.      How different is what I wanted to find out but currently do not have a computer on which I can experiment.

Has any sawfish user tried this and if so with what success?

Cheers,     John Lumby