Re: [Sawfish] sawfish-menu binary needs to be in your PATH if you install sawfish in an odd location; LD_LIBRARY_PATH might be needed as well (was Re: Re: is there a trick to getting the popup menu working)

Am Montag, 2. September 2013, 12:45:08 schrieb Bradley M. Kuhn:

> Sam <throwit1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on this list 1 year and 1 week ago:

> > I'm currently [running sawfish] compiled from git (pulled 2 days ago, Aug

> > 22 2012) ... [and] window rules work, viewports work, the "main" popup

> > menu

> > is not showing

> ... which occurred when Sam had sawfish installed locally into his home

> directory:

> > /home/sam/lib/sawfish/sawfish-menu

> And then Sam followed up almost exactly a year ago with:

> > OK, I got this working - all the menus (root menus, window button

> > menus) are showing up appropriately; BUT I have no idea WHY this is

> > working... at one of the console TTYs I ran this:

> > (DISPLAY=:0.0 sawfish --replace )&

> > I had been starting sawfish from inside a running X session. [A]lso,

> > putting sawfish in $HOME/.xinitrc was forcng X to exit completely with

> > no meaningful error messages

> Oddly, almost exactly a year after Sam was dealing with issue, I had the

> exact same issue and found this thread upon searching the net for the

> problem.

> I have resolved the problem, and I'm posting now primarily for the

> archives of this thread so others can find a solution.

> The key solution is: you have be sure the

> /path/to/sawfish/installed/bin/ is present in the PATH environment

> variable for the environment for sawfish.

> The reason --replace likely worked for Sam above is because that was

> launched in such an environment.

> Also, for good measure, I made sure the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment

> variable contained the /path/to/sawfish/installed/lib/. I don't know if

> there are problems when you fail to do this, as I did it preemptively

> and haven't tested without it.

> So, I'm now calling sawfish from my .xsession with:

> env PATH=/path/to/sawfish/installed/bin:${PATH}

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/sawfish/installed/lib

> /path/to/sawfish/installed/bin/sawfish

> BTW, one other thing I did, that I am unsure whether or not it had an

> impact or not. In /path/to/sawfish/installed/lib/rep/ I did a:

> $ ln -s rep librep

> ... because I noticed upon running strace of the sawfish-menu binary,

> that there were references looking for a directory called

> /path/to/sawfish/installed/lib/librep/ However, that may have been a red

> herring.

Sawfish should know there sawfish-menu is installed, but it seems it doesn't always, I'm gonna check into this issue.

Regards,

Chris