[qet] [en] Resignation from the QElectroTech project

Hello,

The QElectroTech project now exists for more than 6 years. It originally
started out as a common project between two students: the first one was
studying electrotechnics and needed a free software to draw electric
diagrams while the second one was studying I.T. and needed a good idea of
real-life software to be implemented in order to improve its development
skills. As you already know, the first student is Benoît and I am that
second student.

I strove to maintain QElectroTech for a few years after it appeared Benoît
did not need it for its now-professional interests. Having no skills in the
field of electricity, this maintenance was done with a distribution of roles
similar to what occurs in the world of professional development:
contributors involved in the field of electrotechnics patiently explained
their functional requirements to me so I could implement them in the
software itself. The list of those requirements grew quickly, so that
multiplying their count by the amount of time required to accomplish them in
a correct way guarantees that QElectroTech will keep a small development
team busy for years.

Unfortunately, it became harder and harder for me to find time, mainly for
the usual reasons that make volunteering so scarce: professional life,
personal life, other projets, hobbies and experiments, etc, etc, etc.

Today, the statement is pretty clear: my free time is getting too rare for
me to keep finding any motivation to work on a software I cannot use and
which does not contribute anymore to my professional expertise. I do not
doubt things would have been different if implementing new features in this
software had served my personal or professional life. Also, I insist on the
"work" wording: despite the usage of a renowned framework, developing a
portable GUI application requires organization, strictness, thoroughness and
patience. Considering QElectroTech, this is increased by the presence of
various interactive canvas and the necessity not to break the different file
formats.

Eventually, I maintained QElectroTech mainly because I thought it was not
appropriate to leave an application without somebody to transmit it to.
However, I recently figured out that perhaps it was better to explicitly
disengage myself from the project to attract potential volunteers,
interested by the necessity to keep developing this software, rather than
letting the whole world believe that QElectroTech is still actively
maintained.

I tried to stay a little more in the project, typically "at least until the
0.3 version", but neither the last nor the next released version have a real
impact on the topic.

For all these reasons, I announce today my complete retirement from the
QElectroTech project: I will not provide code anymore and will not interfere
in the process of conception, development, debugging, packaging,
documentation, etc. I will remain some times on the IRC channel of the
project to ensure it is well transmitted to new hands.

I wish all the best to the QElectroTech project.

Xavier Guerrin