Re: [hatari-users] Gemdos drive + Hard Disk image, works fine in 1.6, doesn't in Trunk

On perjantai 31 lokakuu 2014, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> > Now if I  use this Hatari from trunk, the GEMDOS drive takes everything
> > and I can't access my ACSI image.
> >
> > WARNING: GEMDOS HD drive C: (may) override ACSI/IDE image partitions!
>
> Please ignore that I have just the seen the new option in the SDL GUI.

With the new command line option you can even specify to which
drive GEMDOS HD is assigned.

Functionality for skipping partitions on image file in older versions
of Hatari didn't support IDE or images with DOS MBR (which work with
EmuTOS without any extra HD drivers).  Current one does.

-> I.e. skipping working earlier was just good luck with what
   MBR / partition table format you used.

Recent discussion on the devel mailing list showed that this support
still has issues; it doesn't (yet) support byte-swapped MBR's or
extended partition tables, and how different HD drivers parse those
can anyway differ from Hatari's understanding, depending on which
partitition table types given native driver recognizes.

Some Atari drivers also have option to skip already existing drives,
when assigning HD partitions to drive letters.

-> Because of these, auto-skipping partitions was disabled by default.

   Default could still be changed before next release, but some
   research/testing/feedback is needed first to show that skipping
   works well enough with partition schemes & HD drivers users
   normally have on their images.

	- Eero