Re: [hatari-users] Default Falcon video mode

Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Thu, 01 Dec 2011 22:08:56 +0100
schrieb Vincent Rivière<vincent.riviere@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
In Falcon mode, with a VGA monitor, it seems that Hatari provides a
default NVRAM with video mode xxxxxxx

Sorry, I messed with my debug traces.

Hatari's default NVRAM provides the video mode 0x010a, which is:
- RGB/TV monitor
- 640x400, 60 Hz, 16 colors

This is a nice default video mode, using high resolution.
So Hatari is OK.

If I remember cleary (but I am really not sure anymore, it's been a
long time that I've hacked the NVRAM stuff in Hatari), TOS 4.0x inverts
the interlace/double-scan bit from the NVRAM value when running with a
VGA monitor. That way you can swap your real Falcon between VGA and RGA
and get (almost) the same resolution in both cases.

That makes sense.
I didn't notice that the bit 8 of the video mode actually means :
- on RGB monitors: high vertical resolution
- on VGA monitors: low resolution

In case I remember this right, I think EmuTOS has to be fixed instead.

You are right, currently EmuTOS fixes the NVRAM monitor type when it does not match the actual monitor, but does not invert the bit 8, so the vertical resolution is wrong. This has to be fixed.

Apologies.

--
Vincent Rivière