Re: [eigen] GitLab migration is starting now!

On 06/12/2019 16.20, Gael Guennebaud wrote:
On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM Christoph Hertzberg <
chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Great!
I guess we could revoke reporter access from those who got that? Or is
there any benefit having that now? (And we could disable requesting
access -- the few people who had write access and still need it, can
write to the core-list).

agree.

Done. If anyone thinks they need more than guest access, please contact us (and briefly explain why).

Also, any opinion on FastForward-Merge vs Merge vs semi-linear-Merge?
    --> Setting/General/Merge Requests/Merge Method

FF-Merges could actually introduce non-working commits to the main
branch (if they are not tested individually or squashed to a single
commit). So I'm actually slightly tending towards the semi-linear
history approach.

Ideally I'd like to be able to choose for each MR. FF for simple fixes,
merge for a new large feature with its own history. Since the former are
much more frequent that the later, I'm leaning toward FF by default. I'm
not sure what the semi-linear-Merge really does in practice.

I agree, for "fixed typo"-style PRs, the merge commit adds more noise than value. It seems there is no "choose per MR" option, unfortunately (sure, we could change the setting, merge, and reset the setting ...)

So lets keep it at FF for now.

As far as I understand the semi-linear merge would do instead of (with "standard merge"):

 *_    merge PR
 | O   commit 2 of PR
 *_ \  merge other PR
 O | | commit on master
 |_O | commit in other PR
 O  /  another fork
 |_O   commit 1 of PR
 O     ancestor where PR was forked

Do this:

 *_    merge PR (if FF is possible)
 | O   commit 2 of PR
 |_O   commit 1 of PR
 *_    merge other PR
 |_O   commit in other PR
 O     commit on master
 O     another fork
 O     ancestor where PR was forked (originally)

With the current setting, we get a flat history.

Christoph

Christoph