Re: [eigen] Comparing notes on work by Igleberger et al. 2012

On 28.08.2012 19:49, Gael Guennebaud wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Christoph Hertzberg
<chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually, it would be nice to optionally support padding in Eigen as well,
sth like padding to the next multiply of packet-size or so.
This would also have the benefit that e.g. col(i) expressions can actually
return an aligned map.

yes, for small objects that can offer a real speedup. We could either
extend Matrix, in which I'd rather add an option bit flag, or even add
a new class.

Yes, an option bit seems nicer indeed, this would also avoid problems with fixed Rows/ColsAtCompiletime. (In the spirit of bug 58 I wouldn't add another class)

Hm, I wouldn't think it's a good idea to optimize this automatically without
warnings/special flags. I can't think of an example right now where it would
harm (of course, if v is a matrix as well, it's easy to find examples where
the first is better than the second), but I would like to be able to
distinguish between (A*B)*v and A*(B*v).

That's the usual remark, and the usual answer is:

(A*B).parenthesis() * v;

(or .group(), or whatever...)

Also note that any optimized math library like Eigen is already
putting arbitrary parenthesis. For instance a simple v.sum() with
vectorization is not computed as:

v0 + v1 + v2 + v3 + ...

but as

(v0 + v2 + v4 + ...) + (v1 + v3 + ...)

or even:

((v0+v1) + (v2+v3)) + ((v4+v5) + (v6+v7))

when unrolling occurs.

Similar arbitrary parenthesis occur inside matrix products, so
implicitly computing A*(B*v) instead of (A*B)*v should exceptionally
be an issue.

Yes, you are right. If there's a case where evaluation order matters, the user shall explicitely tell so.

Christoph

Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen