Re: [eigen] updated TODO for 3.0

2010/10/6 Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>
>>   ---> actually i'm thinking more and more that all these
>> "intermediate" decompositions (also Hessenberg) should rather be kept
>> internal. What's your opinion?
>
> The message is old (more than a week ago) but I still want to reply to it..
>
> I don't know that much about the bidiagonal decomposition, but the
> Hessenberg and Schur decompositions are used as a first step in many matrix
> algorithms. I use Schur for instance when computing matrix functions. So my
> immediate reaction is that we should expose these decompositions. Why do you
> want to keep them internal?

Because that would nicely reduce the number of classes in need of a
thorough API check before we release Eigen 3.0... but if you have a
need for them, OK let's keep them public. Anyway they're not in a too
bad shape.

> If we're not sure about the correct API, we can mark it as unstable for
> v3.0. Or did we decide that we would no longer have unstable / experimental
> bits except in unsupported?

Yes, we did. Making them be internal (e.g. putting them in a nested
"ei" or "internal" namespace) is the closest thing we can do. Eigen2's
approach of using the documentation to declare classes as internal
just didn't work: people ignored that.

Benoit