Re: [eigen] SVD Bug

2010/9/24 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Just to help me understand what is going on...
>
> Does that mean for a 3x2 the decomposition does actually create
> matrices with dimensions
>
> 3x2 2x2 2x2
>
> and not
>
> 3x3 3x2 2x2 ?

Our SVD creates a matrixU of size 3x3 with the last column filled with
0's (yes that's quite stupid, but again it's not worth breaking
existing behavior in matrixU() which will be deprecated once we have a
cleverU()... ),  a singularValues vector of size 2, and a matrixV of
size 2x2.

> I am just asking since I think at an earlier point we argued that for
> USV^T, we always wanted U and V to be square an unitary. I am not sure
> and did not yet test it but I think Eigen 2 actually does that and U
> contains no zeros.

ah! I didn't remember that.

OK, that's a good reason to keep filling U so it's actually unitary.
At least that matrixU() method would remain potentially useful in a
future implementation (having a good mathematical meaning) even if
slow.

To implement that, we need to do Gram-Schmidt to the remaining columns.

of course we need a more efficient SVD with compact U and V anyway....

> Let me clarify what you meant with "does not have a solution". In
> fact, what I did in the unit test was sort of stupid because solving a
> system A*x = b where A is overdetermined will of course result in an x
> = pinv(A)*b such that Ax != b but where ||Ax-b||^2 is minimal. So in
> case we can guarantee that our SVD produces a solution that computes
> exactly the x which minimized ||Ax-b||, we can say it is fine though I
> don't know how to unit test such a system besides doing tests based on
> problems for which we know the correct solutions.

Yes, so I was forgetting that in the case of SVD, solve() is
implicitly doing least squares. I agree with all you write above.

Benoit