Re: [eigen] Feature idea: coeffRef() ---> setCoeff()

2010/7/29 Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi eigen developers,
>
>   Grepping for coeffRef() in src/Core/*.h seems to show that all occurrences
> seem to be returning Scalar& for one of two purposes:
> (1) for use as lvalue in assignments,
> (2) in return expressions within member functions so that users may do the
> same at a higher level.

and (3) when one really wants the memory address where a given
coefficient is stored, which is useful when doing low-level
coefficient access or interfacing with other libraries.

So coeffRef() is certainly not going away; we could still consider
adding setCoeff() alongside if there was a good reason to.

>  A.selfadjointView<Lower>()(j, j+1, value); // note: write to upper triangle

oh... i see. I guess that you omitted setCoeff in the above line, by
the way, so you meant:

A.selfadjointView<Lower>().setCoeff(j, j+1, value); // note: write to
upper triangle

so this would write 2 coeffs at once in A ? Why not. Indeed that cant
be done with coeffRef. But I don't adhere to your rather complex plan
of generally allowing to write to Conjugate expressions, this is not a
prerequisite for that, we could just implement setCoeff in
selfadjointView, where it is useful, without implementing it in stuff
like conjugate() which IMO just don't want to be writable expressions.

This would be much simpler --- the patch could be just a few kB's.

But again, coeffRef() is definitely not going away.

Benoit