[eigen] Re: [gnu.org #544584] Re: Statically linking to a library that uses a LGPL template library

Hello,

2010/5/3 Yoni Rabkin via RT <licensing@xxxxxxx>:

> Hello,
>
> Please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We
> rely on volunteer effort and often have difficulties keeping up with
> the demand for our expertise.

Then here are two things you could do:
 - expand your FAQ / documentation; or
 - simplify your licenses.

Indeed the question I was asking has been asked several times by my users.

Fortunately I think I've been able to figure it out, see:

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Licensing_FAQ#But_what_if_an_application_A_links_statically_to_a_library_B_that_uses_Eigen.3F

I'm interested in any comment you might have on this interpretation.

>> Hi List,
>
>> I have a question.
>> Suppose that X is a LGPLv3-licensed headers-only C++ template library.
>> Suppose that Y is a BSD-licensed C++ binary library that uses X by
>> #including its headers, following Section 3 of the LGPLv3.
>> Suppose that Z is a proprietary application that statically links to Y.
>
>> My question is, does the LGPL license extend to Z?
>
>> I hope that no.
>
> We offer our services by paid consultation to non-free software
> developers.

We are free software developers. This is for the Eigen project,

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org

> We will require 30 minutes of consultation time, at a cost of $150. If
> you wish to proceed, please make a payment by credit card at
> [https://www.fsf.org/licensing/payment/] and e-mail us to let us know
> that you have done so. We will then send you an e-mail answering your
> questions, and allow you appropriate follow up. If you prefer to discuss
> this by telephone, just let us know what times are good for you.

We are a free software project, not even accepting donations, so our
financial resources are zero.

I don't see a problem with the FSF offering paid consulting services
on its licenses, as long of course as it doesn't constitute a conflict
of interest against simplifying these licenses and/or documenting them
better.

> If you do not want to pay for this service, I suggest you carefully
> review the resources we provide about licensing at
> [http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html]

Already done.

> and refer to your legal
> counsel.

(already addressed that misunderstanding).

Regards,
Benoit