Re: [eigen] geometry module...

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - make UniformScale * Translation return a Translation
>
> I don't understand that. UniformScale * Translation should return the
> composite transformation, that consists in first translating and then
> scaling. This is not a translation!

Well, maybe the bigger problem is that we do not yet have expressions
in the transformation chain. A translation is not even a
transformation but it behaves as such since

Vector = Translation * Vector

is a valid operation - i.e. translations behaves like a transformation
matrices. And given

Vector = Scaling * Translation * Vector

which can be written as

Vector = (Scaling * Translation) * Vector = OtherTranslation * Vector

I considered returning a translation - in particular since

Translation * Vector

is way more efficient than

ProjectiveTransformation * Vector.

Maybe now I managed to maximize confusion but I agree that such a
trivial fix is not really a fix and thus I will leave it alone for the
moment.

- Hauke