Re: [eigen] nesting

arf indeed, anytime an _expression_ is evaluated at nesting time, a matrix gets stored by value and potentially it can be copied multiple times... I think this is one more argument in favor of a top-down evaluation mechanism. In short, the idea behind this is:

1 - remove all evaluation at nesting time, and simply build the complete _expression_ tree
2 - at evaluation time, you send your complete _expression_ to a template evaluator which will recursively analyze your _expression_ from the top, reorder some subexpression, and evaluate some sub expressions when needed. Such an analyzer/evaluator would look like the current ei_blas_traits... Some examples of what could be done with such an approach:

(A + B).block() => (A.block() + B.block())

E.noalias() += A*B + C*D;

=>

E.noalias() += A*B;
E.noalias() += C*D;

This also offers more parallelization opportunities.

Sounds good, but of course I'm really scared about compilation times.... This is why I did not talk that much about that idea so far.

gael.