Re: [eigen] Rigid Transformations in eigen: discussion thread

>> Another quite simple solution is to add a second template argument
>> being the type of the coeffs. By default it would be a Vector8_. For
>> instance operator* would be implemented as:
>>
>> DualQuaternion<Scalar, CwiseUnaryOp<ei_scalar_multiple_op<Scalar>,
>> CoeffsTypeOfThis> > operator*(Scalar s)
>> {
>>  return s * m_coeffs;
>> }
>>

>> same for operator+:
>>
>> template<typename OtherCoeffsType>
>> DualQuaternion<Scalar, CwiseBinaryOp<ei_scalar_sum_op<Scalar>,
>> CoeffsTypeOfThis, OtherCoeffsType> >
>> operator+(const DualQuaternion<Scalar, OtherCoeffsType>& other)
>> {
>>  return m_coeffs + other.m_coeffs;
>> }
>>
>> Then you add a ctor and operator= like this:
>>
>> template<typename OtherCoeffsType> operator=(const
>> DualQuaternion<Scalar, OtherCoeffsType>& other)
>> {
>>  m_coeffs = other.m_coeffs;
>> }
>>

>> and you're almost done: you still have to take care to evaluate the
>> coeffs if needed in the compositing operator* and similar functions.
>
> Excellent, somehow that possibility totally escaped me.
>
> This solution also fixes another problem of Rohit, by the way: how to
> map existing data as a Quaternion (there already was the
> reinterpret_cast trick but now there is also the possibility of using
> Map<....> as the data type).

Wait, we saw that fixed size vectorizable types don't play nice with
Map. You saw that a Vector4i wasn't getting vectorized when I mapped a
block of memory to it.

> Rohit, just in case this isn't clear from Gael's email, he's
> suggesting that the data type of the "Vector8 m_coeffs;" data member
> can be freely chosen, so instead of a "plain vector" type as Vector8
> you can have any expression type. So your operator+ may now return a
> DualQuaternion where the underlying Vector8 type is now a "sum of two
> Vectors" expression. That brings all the ETs to DualQuaternion.

I don't understand. If I just return say m_coeffs + other.m_coeffs,
wouldn't that bring et to dualquats? The return type is of course
changed to Coefficients and we provide an assignment operator from
Coefficients to DualQuaternion.

After all, the real evaluation is happening in the = operator right.