Re: [eigen] slides of my talk

2009/1/26 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The point is that even if they optimize some common operations for
>> small fixed sizes they can only do it for a small fixed number of
>> these.
>
> actually if they have a good JIT, they only have the overhead of the
> parsing and compilation and then the algorithm would be as fast as
> Eigen !

For that, they need not only a good JIT, they need their whole matrix
framework to support fixed size like Eigen does (as opposed to dynamic
size). This isn't going to be easy for them as the Matlab syntax
doesn't let the user specify which sizes are fixed. So I guess that it
would still be possible for Matlab to handle literals as fixed values,
but that wouldn't work if the user makes a function taking a matrix as
parameter...