[eigen] Re: [Bf-committers] How about adding boost uBLAS library to blender/extern?

[+eigen list]

Just to hop in: I have been using eigen2 for libmv for awhile. It's
*amazing*. They are beating Intel's MKL, Goto BLAS, and ATLAS on some
benchmarks, and with only 16,000 lines of code. The unification of
small fixed size vectors with dynamically sized ones makes your code
both easy to read and highly peformant (comparable to hand-optimized
assembly).

For example, I have implemented levenberg marquart minimization in
Eigen, which is about the same length as my Python implementation, but
*much* faster.

Also, you can do wacky things like

double z_offset = (R*t)[2];

where R is a 3x3 matrix and t is a 3x1 vector. In this case, the
optimizer will peel away the unnecessary dot products and only compute
the dot product of the third row of R with t.

If you try to multiply matrices with mismatched sizes where any of the
dimensions are at compile time, you get nice compile errors like
'YOU_MIXED_MATRICES_OF_DIFFERENT_SIZES'.

Using eigen, most of the 'cruft' of writing numeric stuff at a low
level falls away.

I realize there are reasons not to use C++, but if anything, Eigen is
a compelling reason to use C++ if you are doing numeric coding. I
wouldn't go back to the old ways now that I've used Eigen (which is
more comparable to programming in matlab or numeric python than to
traditional C numerics).

Slides from a talk Benoit (primary Eigen author) gave last week:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/eigen/slides-NA-seminar-23-jan-2009.pdf

Cheers,
Keir