Re: [eigen] Re: small sums: vectorization not worth it

hm for a vector of size 64 your result does not make sense. Actually I
checked the generated assembly and your benchmark have several issues
such that you are not really benchmarking sum. First, the first
expression (v = one + v * 1e-10)  was not properly inlined when the
vectorization was enabled. Second, this first expression is more
costly than sum. Third, you call twice sum on (almost) the same data,
and so perhaps the compiler manage to remove most of the computation
of the second call to sum only when the vectorization in disabled.

So I rewrited the benchmark, see attached file, and now I get a slight
speed up for double/64 and more than x2 for float/64. The generated
assembly is pretty good in both cases, so why does the vectorization
not lead to higher speed up ?

Actually, the non vectorized meta-unroller of sum is much clever than
the vectorized one because it reduces the dependency between the
instructions using a recursive divide and conquer strategy while the
vectorized one simply accumulates the coeff in a single register. See:

sum = a;
t1 = c;
sum +=  b;
t1 += d;
sum += t1;

versus:

sum = a;
sum += b;
sum += c;
sum += d;

Another possible issue was that the vectorized unroller loop over the
coeff in the wrong order (d,c,b,a instead of a,b,c,d).

Anyway, I rewritted the vectorized meta unroller to use the same good
strategy, and now I get a significant speed up for double/64: x1.7
faster ! and for float/64 I get x2.75, not bad.

For very small sizes, it is clear that at least for Vector2d this does
not make sense to vectorize it. For float, let's check.

However, the reason why I did that change recently is that if we don't
vectorize Vector4f::sum() then we might lost some other vectorization,
ex:

(0.5*a+0.25*b+0.25*c).sum();

If we disable vectorization of sum for small sizes, then what we have
to do in Sum.h, is to automatically insert an evaluation:

(0.5*a+0.25*b+0.25*c).eval().sum();

Should be easy to do.

Gael.