Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 07:05:38PM +0100, Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
> Thank you so much. I've sent you the hostnames of a beaglebone white
> and a beaglebone black that are set with your public key.
>
> I took a few days while I confirmed what I could. In fact I've tried
> several kernel versions and I see that up to 3.15.10-bone8 the clock
> is working properly. After 3.16 and until the most recent 4.2 RC, it
> is malfunctioning.
>
> If you have a minute to login at the machines and are able to narrow
> in any way which part of the kernel clocks is at fault it might be
> easier have it fixed at the Linux level.

I did some tests with the adjtimex utility while chronyd was just
reporting measured offset and not controlling the clock. It looks like
there is a problem with large frequency offsets. There seems to be a
maximum offset the kernel is willing to apply to the clock (about 1000
ppm) and any attempts to slow down or speed up the clock more are
ignored. This breaks the chrony control loop badly.

As a workaround, I set the maxslewrate option to 100 ppm and started
chronyd with "0.0 1.0" in the driftfile to avoid large frequency
adjustments and it seems it was able to settle down.

I'm not sure where the problem could be. Looking at the log for the
linux/kernel/time directory between 3.15 and 3.16 I don't see anything
suspicious. Could be something in the arch-specific code.

You could try to add the nohz option to the kernel command line, that
would suggest it's a problem with the internal timekeeping loop.

I think this is a serious bug that needs to be fixed. If you file any
bug reports, please let us know.

Thanks,