Re: [chrony-users] Run chrony without acting as a NTP server

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, you can get a "client only" mode by letting the kernel assign the
> local NTP port randomly. I think that's what openntpd does. Also, the
> cmdmon port (323) doesn't need to be open to outside. In the config
> file that would be:
>
> port 0
> bindcmdaddress 127.0.0.1
> bindcmdaddress ::1

Thank you.

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:43:16AM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > Yes, you can get a "client only" mode by letting the kernel assign the
> > local NTP port randomly. I think that's what openntpd does.
>
> It seems openntpd actually uses a separate connected socket for each
> server. That's different from chronyd, which uses only one socket per
> address family and receives packets from any address.

openntpd is different from chrony in that, if you don't specify a
"listen"-clause in the config file, it will not *listen* on any port,
but it will connect to other ntp servers to get the time. So it just
works as a ntp client, much like "ntpdate" or "ntp -q". The reason,
why I'd rather want to have a ntp daemon running instead of a
periodical update (per cronjob), is that I read a post on the
developer blog some time ago, that discouraged the use of cronjobs,
because that creates unwanted (periodic) peaks in time syncs on
pool.ntp.org.

Sincerely, Wilhelm Schuster.